Monday, December 8, 2008

The Pains of Being Pure at Heart

Hi folks, sorry for the long gap since the last blog post. Things have been craaaaazy for me at work but now I'm off for the week, and what a week it's going to be! Of course there's the fourth instalment of Half My Heart Beats on Saturday (13th), but before that there's a popshow and a half that I really wanted to write something about.

The Pains of Being Pure at Heart are from New York City, and they've surely been the most exciting band to emerge this year as far as indiepop is concerned. They've released an incredible self-titled EP followed by a string of 7" singles and internet-only tracks, and now they're touring the UK with The Wedding Present and doing a few solo shows along the way in advance of the release of their debut album.

I've been obsessively watching this Youtube clip of the band playing an unreleased song called 'The Tenure Itch' recently. The guitar part is so simple I feel like even I could play it, but it doesn't matter. This is pure (no pun intended) breathtaking pop music of the kind Half My Heart Beats is all about.



So anyway, they're going to be playing at The Captain's Rest, 185 Great Western Road on Friday night (12th). According to people on the Anorak forum who've been to the early UK shows, the band is even better live than on record, so I couldn't be more excited about getting to see them. I hasten to add that this gig is nothing to do with me or Lynsey, I just wanted to mention it in case people weren't aware they were in town.

Hope to see you there!

No comments: