Monday, April 6, 2009

Whatever I have is yours, and it's right here


Anders, Brogues and Mrs. Brogues at Half My Heart Beats 5

The second Saturday of the month is fast approaching, so that means it's almost time for another Half My Heart Beats. It seems like hardly any time since Speedmarket Avenue were here and I was dancing to The Pains of Being Pure At Heart at our last night, but we're ready to do it all again.

I've been giving a lot of thought to what I'm going to play this month. I've almost settled on kicking things off (in a terribly self-indulgent manner) with Felt's nine-minute opus, Riding On The Equator. Just because I can, like. But where to go from there?

Well, I'll definitely be playing The Go-Betweens. I can guarantee that. This band continues to grow in my estimation, and when I heard Right Here for the first time in between bands at the Cloudberry Records night at The Captain's Rest last week, it blew me away. This is perfect pop music of the kind Half My Heart Beats is there to celebrate. Utterly joyous, beautiful and heartfelt. Watch out for that around 1am!

Other than that I will likely be playing selections from the new and forthcoming albums by Cats On Fire and Camera Obscura, with at least one Tigermilk-era Belle & Sebastian number and a dose of jangle from Razorcuts, McCarthy and Boyracer.

No word on what Lynsey's going to be playing yet because she's secretive like that, but it's sure to be great.

As ever, we'd love to hear your requests. Either leave a comment, send us an email to halfmyheartbeats@gmail.com, stop by the myspace or facebook profiles (links in the sidebar), or leave us a post on the Anorak forum.

In recognition of the fact that we clash with the excellent Little League at Queen's Park Bowling Club, we will have a special offer for anyone wishing to attend both nights. I can't give the game away just yet, but instructions will be available on the night at Little League. Suffice to say that anyone who makes it to indiepop nights on both sides of the Clyde in the same night is a gentleman and a scholar. Or a lady.

1 comment:

Marianthi said...

I'm jealous of this pop double-bill. Christos is coming up for Little League so hopefully you'll see him on your dancefloor too!